Treating Atopic Dermatitis in Infants and Children
Tips for caring for skin problems in a baby or young child.
These 9 tips help you take care of your baby, toddler or young child who has eczema or atopic dermatitis.
- Give lukewarm baths.
- Apply lubricant immediately following the bath.
- Keep child's fingernails filed short.
- Select soft cotton fabrics when choosing clothing.
- Consider using sedating antihistamines to promote sleep and reduce scratching at night.
- Keep the child cool; avoid situations where overheating occurs.
- Learn to recognize skin infections and seek treatment promptly.
- Attempt to distract the child with activities to keep him or her from scratching.
- Identify and remove irritants and allergens.